difficult to initially navigate to empty cell upon click

Unlike the samples, that seem to be easy to get into edit mode in a cell, I find it quite difficult to get the focus to a cell. For example, when I add a row to the grid (or multiple rows) then click on the first cell of one of the rows, unless I click on the leftmost portion of it, the cell refuses to get the focus. Also, for wider column with data that the user might want to annotate, unless the user clicks directly on the text and not the whitespace (which for some cells can be substantial) it will not go into edit mode.

What I would like is that if the user clicks in ANY portion of the cell that it goes into edit mode. How might I accomplish this?

What I would like is that if the user clicks in ANY portion of the cell
that it goes into edit mode. How might I accomplish this?
Normally cell selection occurs for any click inside the cell, it doesn’t matter is it text or white space.
Which type of column you are using in problematic case? By any chance are value of problematic cell contains some custom HTML formatting?

The problem mysteriously went away.  It is on a screen with a dhtmlx window… i set the viewport to 0,0,0,0 and sometime after that this weird issue went away.