How to use special german characters?

I have some data in my database table with words containing special german characters like “ä” “ö” “ü”.
When loading the grid there is no data shown in the grid and the following message occurs:

<rows total_count='7'><row id='84'><cell><![CDATA[home/sebode/testordner]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[598635741]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Juten Tach]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[SchlumpfApp]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[1]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[DEBUG]]></cell></row><row id='85'><cell><![CDATA[home/sebodedummyordner]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[5587]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Moin Moin]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[TottiApp]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[4]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[SUPER ERROR]]></cell></row><row id='88'><cell><![CDATA[home/sebode/crashtest]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[1575]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Mahlzeit]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[CrashtestApp]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[2]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Info: morgen ist Bergfest]]></cell></row><row id='90'><cell><![CDATA[home/sebode/topsecret]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[747]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Boing 747]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[SecretApp]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[3]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Warnung: Area 51]]></cell></row><row id='91'><cell><![CDATA[home/sebode/topsecret]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[321]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Fringe]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[ZugangApp]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[2]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Info: Alles streng geheim hier]]></cell></row><row id='92'><cell><![CDATA[home/sebode/musik]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[8526]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Let's rock]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[RockApp]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[3]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Warnung: Wir rocken das Haus!]]></cell></row><row id='94'><cell><![CDATA[home/sebode/�ff�ff]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[57314]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[hier ist der �ff]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[�ff�ffApp]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[3]]></cell><cell><![CDATA[Warnung: It smells like dirty shit]]></cell></row></rows>

How can i allow special characters?

Try to use:

DataProcessorInstance.enableUTFencoding(true)

Als check if encoding in the xml, database and html page is the same.

I have enabled utf-8 (dp.enableUTFencoding(true)) but it didn’t work either. I also checked my html and php files and added the following command:
for the php file:

header('content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8');

for the html file:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="application/xhtml+xml;charset=utf-8" />

The Doctype is XHTML.
But where do i find the xml file?
Also i noticed an interesting thing. When there is no input in database with special characters “ö” “ä” etc. and i update a cell in the grid the special characters will be shown correctly in grid, but will not shown correctly in database table (i.e. “Nötbeans” instead of “Nötbeans”). But when data is correct in database (i.e. “Nötbeans”) the error message appears and nothing is displayed (like i mentioned in my first posting).
Please help.

If you are using dhtmxlConnector on server side try to use:

$conn->set_encoding(“iso-8859-1”);

“iso-8859-1” - this encoding must be equal to your data base encoding

I’ve tried this but it didn’t work.
But after a lot of hours of trying different things i’ve solved the problem.
In the basic_connector file you have to put this command after you’ve opened the mysql connection and selected the database (mysql_select_db()):

mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET 'utf8'");

Then the special characters will be shown correctly in database and grid! :slight_smile: