Newbie - Installation of Spreadsheet

Could someone please help out a newbie who is struggling a bit with the simplest of things? I am sure that I have made a simple error, but I am new to this and reading all the documentation hasn’t really helped me.

I am trying to install spreadsheet. I have downloaded the installation files into my /public-html/spreadsheet folder and after running index.php I have managed to get the required installation page up.

I have entered the fields as follows:
Database type = MySQL
Database host = localhost:3306
Database name = [as created in my MySQL page]
Prefix = [blank]
User = [as created in my SQL page]
Password [as created in my SQL page]

The server is definitely running PHP Software version: 5.1.66-cll - MySQL Community Server (GPL). However, I get the error messsage “Database connection is failed. Check database configuration” when I click on install.

Examination of my error log reveals this:
[Tue Apr 16 20:38:51 2013] [error] [client 144.136.81.21] File does not exist: /home/onon8374/public_html/404.shtml
[Tue Apr 16 20:38:51 2013] [error] [client 144.136.81.21] File does not exist: /home/onon8374/public_html/favicon.ico

Hi,
please, try to place on server file test.php with the follow code:

<?php

$conn = mysql_connect("localhost:3306", "username", "password");
mysql_select_db("databasename", $conn);

var_dump($conn);

mysql_close($conn);

?>

and open it in browser. Does it output correct connection or fail?
Don’t forget to change username, password, databasename in test.php with tour own credentials.

I opened the page using this script and I get a page which displays:

resource(1) of type (mysql link)

I am a little unfamliar with all of this. Does this sound right?

Hi,
yes, it sound good, database connection is correct. But something is wrong during installing.

Anyone had a similar problem to this? I have tried re-installing the package on my server from scratch and after entering all those details I am still getting the error. Is it something I’m doing? I presume not a software bug as no one else has mentioned this issue.

There was not similar reports
Installstion script just takes the data from installation page and makes the same code as in above test to connect to the database. If you have entered the same data as in above test - there must not be any errors with DB.