Portal layout

The suggestion here concerns bringing a portal layout component to help the development of portal applications like Netvibes / iGoogle The goal of the following suggested capabilities is to help the dynamic conception of a page layout visually on the front end.

• An option to allow the user to manually resize vertically and horizontally a “portlet” instead of just vertically fitting the content and horizontally following the width of columns in which portlet appear (that means, we could want a portlet to have a width smaller than the column).

• Usually, the portal layout follows a disposition allowing portlets drag & drop through columns. A more flexible way to set the page layout would be useful for using the portlets. First, by allowing the page layout definition on the front end user side and instead of only columns, allow building of zones by defining them through a table approach instead of columns. That would allow a layout like this :
    Portlet A | Portlet B
    P O R T L E T C
    instead of just
    Portlet A | Portlet B | Portlet C
    Portlet D | Portlet E | Portlet F

• Vertical and horizontal scroll bars or sliders to scroll the portlet content

• On the programmer side, i suggest an easy way to add commands in the portlet title bar (next to minimize / maximize / close buttons)

• intelligent behaviors around resizing portlets illustrated here blog.isomorphic.com/more-feature … rtallayout

This is just what we can find in Extjs 5 and what i suggest for Dhtmlx 4

We can see a demo of this here dev.sencha.com/extjs/5.0.0/examp … index.html

Hello
We want to let you know that we released a new component, dhtmlxPortal, that will probably meet your requirements. It’s in beta now and will be added in DHTMLX Suite in the next release. At the moment we’re collecting your feedbacks and suggestions to enhance the performance and extend the functionality of this component. Check the details here: dhtmlx.com/blog/new-dhtmlx-component/

Yes Darya, thanks you, this is fantastic news i followed and already had a feedback about that here dhtmlx.com/blog/new-dhtmlx-component/ :

"The only key component that were missing in DHTMLX, thanks you for that.

Now, what miss the most if the portal feeling, i mean we feel a layout management, not a portal one which manage multiple draggable windows => look this demo jqwidgets.com/jquery-widgets … nality.htm.

Now seeing the windows content while dragging is better."

Andrei answered me there : “We already have dhtmlxWindows component. You can add several codelines to make them behave like in demo above. Or you can also contact our sales department if you’d like we did such customization for you.”

But i don’t agree, a portal component which does not manage windows components is not a portal component, this is bad news.