Possible to have an Alpha menu w/ Betta submenus?

[Sorry for accidental empty post before this one. Please remove it.]

… As in, I want a horizontal menu (just like alpha), but when user clicks a nested item, I want it to open a Betta menu.

It’s too bad that menu items can’t be menus, like in Java. I believe the user has no choice of vertical vs. horizontal after the 1st level.

I’ve spent the last 3 hours unsuccessfully trying to work around this by having the Betta menu items open a Popup with left-click, but I can’t get the Betta menu item position which I need to position the Popup menu. Is there any work-around, or does dhtmlxMenu design just not accommodate switching vertical/horizontal within a single menu tree?

There is possible to set menu orientation for first level of menu and different orientation for “second and all others” levels of menu, so in result 4 configuations of menu possible. There is no way to set different menu orientation for levels of menu after second.

>>Is there any work-around, or does dhtmlxMenu design just not
accommodate switching vertical/horizontal within a single menu tree?
Original design was created without such possibility in mind , so it limited to existing two level models. While, in theory, it possible to extend functionality , it will require mediocre changes. If necessary we can point to places which define existing logic , but there is no easy solution to change them in desired way.

Thanks very much for the quick and meaty answer!

Please do give directions on where to change the existing logic.  I won’t be able to convince management to go with dhtmlxMenu without a prototype using this feature.  If you have any tips on how I could extend functionality instead of modifying your code directly, I’d appreciate that (to facilitate future upgrades and make modifications more apparent, etc.).  Otherwise I’ll just edit your files.  I’ll be happy to send you a patch if I get it working.