Programmatically set the validate attribute

Is there a way to programatically (i.e. in javascript) set the “validate” attribute of an item?

Background:
I’m using the Visual Designer, and would like to keep the code that it produces usable. After I load the code that the Visual Designer uses, I programmatically make whatever changes are appropriate - changing labels names, assigning functions to buttons, etc. In this situation, I want to assign a validation rule that isn’t covered by the standard choices. One way to do this would be to edit the “validate” rule itself in the code after saving it. But that would get cumbersome if I had to do it manually everytime I saved the file. So, I’d rather do something like,

form_1.setItemAttribute('item_name', 'attribute', 'value'); which I could do after loading the form and it would override whatever the Visual Designer has assigned there. Is something like that possible?

I’d settle for form_1.setItemValidate(‘item_name’,‘validaterule’);

Thank you,
Rob

Unfortunately current version of dhtmlxFrom doesn’t have such method to change validation type on the fly

Then this is a real problem, because the Visual Designer control for the ValidationRule is a select box - you can only choose one of the provided options.

How do we bring this to the attention of the appropriate people to generate something usable?

Thank you,
Rob