Resource restrictions and auto-scheduling

I apologise if this has been answered in the documentation, but I have spent some time searching and can’t find anything.

We have the PRO license for GANTT.

We would like to use the auto-scheduling feature, but have a number of restrictions on our tasks which the scheduler needs to take into account.

First - we only have a certain number of resources (e.g. electricians) available to work simultaneously, and so wherever an electrician was required they would not be freed up for another task until they have finished the first for example.

Second - we have some resources which would only be available from X date, and so the scheduler would need to take those dates into account. Potentially I could setup a task and dependency for the delivery of these items, and so could deal with it outside of resources if needed.

Thirdly, we would like to try to ensure only X resources are working in a certain location at a certain time

Finally, we would like to prioritise staying in one location and finishing a whole location of tasks where possible, rather than skipping around many locations. In our case we have perhaps 1000 locations, each of which has 20 tasks. We would ideally try to restrict us working across only 50 locations at any one time. In some cases this might create inefficiency, but would be good to understand what can be done here.

Any advice would be massively appreciated. Thank you!

Hello Nick,
When Gantt auto-schedules tasks, it doesn’t take resources into account at all.
Your use case requires a custom implementation as Gantt doesn’t have the built-in features for that.

You can link tasks and add different types of constraints:
https://docs.dhtmlx.com/gantt/desktop__auto_scheduling.html#timeconstraintsfortasks

And there is an example of the implementation where assigning the same resources to the dates is not allowed:

Also, there is another example of the implementation where you can drag a task to the specific dates in the resource timeline, and it will be assigned from that date to the end of the task:

The examples above may help you to start implementing your solution.

If you want us to implement a custom solution for you, you can contact the Sales team:
info@dhtmlx.com