restrict adding row when dragging between grids

Hi,

I m trying to implement d-n-d between two grids, this d-n-d has a very specific features. I have read the documentation many times and I managed to do some of the features, but here is what I am having difficulty in doing:

• when draging form source grid to target grid there are two types of movements:
    ** one that only changes values of cells in the target row
    ** one that adds an entire new row
    I have managed to change cell values through tObj in the OnDrag event or the Ondrop event depending when you want the change to actually happen, the problem is I need - based on a condition- to prevent adding the row, what I do now which is a very dummy way is to always delete the added row in the OnDrop event, then manually adding a new row whenever needed, is there a better way to do this ?? I tried changing gridTogrid function but it didn’t work as expected

• Another thing is that all the moves from source grid to target grid should be authenticated by the server before allowing the dragging to actually complete - not to happen because I manged to prevent a row from being dragged or dropped on whenever I want, moreover sometimes when the user releases a row he is asked to make a decision to finish the move or cancel it more like a warning, I tried to do all this in OnDrag event calling posts requests and showing alert messages and based on them I return false or true for the OnDrop event - I understand that the onDrop event is called based on the result of the on Drag event- but calling dhtmlx alert or post inside the onDrag event didnt work, neither calling them in a function then calling this function in onDrag event , the onDrop event always fails to happen, what I ended up doing is placing all my conditions, post requests and alerts inside the onDrop event, is this what I really should be doing?

after this I end up with no OnDrag event needed, and here is how my onDrop event looks like

targetGrid.attachEvent("onDrop", onRowDrop);

[code] function onRowDrop(sId, tId, dId, sObj, tObj, sCol, tCol) {
//when a row is droped in target grid
targetGrid.deleteRow(sId);
if (condition_1)
{ // here add anew row
dhtmlx.message({
type: “confirm”,
text: “<?php echo lang('___MSG_1') ?>”,
ok: “<?php echo lang('ACTION_1') ?>”,
cancel: “<?php echo lang('cancel_move') ?>”,
callback: function (result) {
if (result)
addNewRowToTargetGrid(tId, sId);
}
});
}
else if (condition_2)
{// also ad a new row, little difrrent
dhtmlx.message({
type: “confirm”,
text: “<?php echo lang('___MSG_2') ?>”,
ok: “<?php echo lang('ACTION_2') ?>”,
cancel: “<?php echo lang('cancel_move') ?>”,
callback: function (result) {
if (result)
addNewRowToTargetGrid(tId, sId);
}
});
}
else {
var param = ‘’, response;
dhtmlxAjax.post(“validate_movment”, param, function ® {
response = JSON.parse(r.xmlDoc.responseText);
if (response.STATUS)
{
//change celll values only
tObj.cells(tId, FREE_CSD_NO_COL_INDX).setValue(sObj.cells(sId, CSD_NO_COL_INDX).getValue());
tObj.cells(tId, FREE_CSD_SEQ_COL_INDX).setValue(sObj.cells(sId, CSD_SEQ_COL_INDX).getValue());

sourceGrid.cells(sId, RES_FLAG_COL_INDX).setValue(0);
                sourceGrid.setRowTextStyle(sId, "color:grey;");
                targetGrid.setRowTextStyle(tId, "color:orange;");
            } else
            {
                // move not allowed o=dont do anything
                dhtmlx.alert({
                    text: "<?php echo lang('___MSG_3') ?>",
                    ok: "<?php echo lang('cancel_move') ?>",
                    callback: function () {

}
                });
            }
        });
    }

}[/code]

Its a long post I know but I want to do this as best as possible, not just making it to work but in the best, correct way possible . Please help

calling dhtmlx alert or post inside the onDrag event didnt work, neither calling them in a function then calling this function in onDrag event , the onDrop event always fails to happen
Most probably the problem was that you didn’t return “true” from your onDrag event, so your block process was blocked and the onDrop event doesn’t occur.

In scenario with copying only the data to the target row without adding new one you may try to use the copyRowContent() method instead of direct setValue()-getValue() methodes calling:
docs.dhtmlx.com/api__link__dhtml … ntent.html

sematik,

I really thank you for your post, I will definitely try copyRowContent.

as for your first comment about the post and alert inside onDrag event, I actually return true or false whenever needed - I mean I didn’t miss this point - but it appears to me that the onDrop event doesn’t wait for the onDrag event to finish, the whole purpose of the alert inside onDrag event is to wait for the user response: if true proceed to onDrop event if false then dont, but still the onDrop event never occurs if the alert returns true, I dont know what Iam missing but I’ll keep trying

thnx again