Virtual Desktop Support

Another good feature to add to version 4.0 is “Start Menu” like Windows, allowing creating Virtual Desktops like link Below:

docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/extj … sktop.html

Cheers,
Daniel

Since i do not have any anwsers to my posts,

i only want to say:

Thank you so much, to accept my suggestions!

Regards,
Daniel

The above demo is not the component, but the specifi app.
It is already possible to create something similar with dhtmlx components, but I, personally, really don’t see where it can be used.

Can you please share, where you plan to use such functionality ?

There could be much possible use.

1. If my application is being used for hours and hours by the user, it makes sense to make it like a desktop (browser full screen) with a configurable background
  2. For instance the application we developed has many modules, one of which is a mapping (some kind of document), it makes sense to create a shortcut for important mappings on desktop for ease access
  3. Open multiple windows (dhtmlxWindows instance with a dhtmlxGrid) of the mapping and do Drag n Drop between them
  4. Have dashboard kind of charts running in another window (dhtmlxWindows) in the background, updating periodically
  5. Have notifications piled up for viewing on the right side
  6. Select multiple type of objects copied on the desktop and send them thru email
  7. Have Groovy console running in another window with a cron kind of activity doing backups / updates
  8. And much more I could think off

My current application (we are Pro Customers) supports all these, but what I lack is the ability of a Desktop like Ext JS does, we are stuck with one page application design and changing page to page for each module.

Believe me, there are many things possible, you give us the ability and we show you how to put it for better use :slight_smile:

Thanks in Advance

I have considered building a ‘desktop’ type of application in dhtmlx. I think it is already possible to do. The desktop would be a dataview, the task bar would be the bottom cell of a 2 panel layout which contains a menu. The items in the desktop/menu would simply open windows with apps inside.

You say in your post that you build many single page components and then locate from one page to the next to go to the next component.

This is exactly how I started using dhtmlx. Then I learned the concept of a layout “View” and url push/pop state. This allows us to create a single page with lots of components. Using this technique you can create a ‘single page web app’–the entire application is a downloaded in a single page and then only data is moving between browser.

some days ago i have the same idea, an virtual desktop like “sencha”, they have an great framework but no easy to understand like dhtmlx.

with dhtmlx components you can make an similar virtual desktop (or maybe only my idea) using the basic:

-layout
-toolbar (attached in the bottom like “start / programs” and “opened windows***”)
-windows (when you open one window you can add an button in the toolbar with the same name***)
-dataView / dhtmlxFolders (to have folders / desktop icons)

maybe i’m crazy but that its my way :stuck_out_tongue:

regards.

We are using pro compontents in a intranet and we did it using components of dhtmlx in all respective pro versions.

We build something like this attached image.

Luis

we use this feautre too … but it involved a lot of work to create en enviroment like this.

A prebuild component like this will be very nice

There are a lot of limitations when you use DHTMLX components to ‘reproduce’ EXTJS desktop.

The taskbar for example, works fine when you have small amount of buttons … what happens if you have more buttons than the available side to display (width)? … then it should need ‘hacks’

Even, I dont like this way of ‘reproducing things’, that is why I made mine version:

dhtmlx.com.br/dbDemo/desktop.html

it is not done yet, but the features are:

• powerful client database with foreign keys and sql-like types using $dhx.dataDriver and indexedDB
  • database scaffold
  • ability to register custom modules
  • ability to use custom views for together the pre-built ‘cruders’. Cruders are modules automatically built using scaffold and the existing tables on database (client)
  • support for offline applications
  • bind and sync of DHTMLX components
  • etc etc etc

some docs:

github.com/web2solutions/dhx

github.com/web2solutions/dhx/bl … aDriver.md

type dhtmlx.com.br/dbDemo/desktop … e_log=true for a interactive log at browser console

user: demo@web2solutions.com.br
password: demo

just enforcing: it is under development.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome

Looks great. I suppose the next step might be to turn the desktop into a dataview so you could create a shortcut on the desktop.

yes … sure … there is a list of features that are being created

we already are using dataviewer to list the ‘universal’ search results … click on the first icon from the left side bar and try to search … the results are listed on a dataviewer

todo list:

internal realtime chat - chat between logged users
ODF and DOC editor
System general information
email client
File explorer - both with server and local storage
local storage and viewer for PDF, images, ODF and DOCs
users online (and show what are they doing)
personal notes on desktop (like post it)
RSS News in desktop
Addresses of Clients with Google Maps

suggestions and feedbacks are welcome

regards