Hi, I went into my site and did a bit of tweaking - got rid of a couple extensions that I thought might be causing conflicts and that we weren’t really using anymore anyway, and then uninstalled and reinstalled the spreadsheet extension and made the modifications to the code again as outlined in the previous post. I am no longer receiving the error message that I got before, and in fact am receiving no error messages at all (yay!). However, I am also still not seeing the spreadsheet, the page is still blank, so not complete success.
I can share a link to the page where the spreadsheet can be found on our site as you requested, but it is in a private area of our site so I would have to give you a login/password. I am happy to do so if that is okay with you, just let me know how you would like that information sent to you.